Diwali is a festival that involves many traditions that are being followed by people for generations. People like cooking traditional delicacies for Diwali, cleaning their houses and then decorating than with rangolis, lighting fireworks and diyas and spending time with their families and friends. People also follow one prominent tradition in Diwali and that is, hanging handmade or store-bought lanterns or “kandeel” in the windows of the house or in the entrance area of the house.
Everything handmade and homemade is always better than the store-bought version of it and because of that, here, you can read all about how to make Diwali lanterns at home so that you can make one and add a lovely touch to your Diwali decorations.
Simple Steps To Make Diwali Lantern At Home
There are many different ways one can make a Diwali lantern. Here are two types of lanterns that are simple and fun to make.
- Foam lantern:
Required things –
- Foam sheets (of two different colors)
- A stapler
- A ruler and pencil
- 2 clothespins
- Cut the foam sheet in a rectangular shape.
- Roll the rectangular foam sheet into a cylindrical shape.
- Secure the edges with clothespins.
- Cut the other foam sheet with a different color in a rectangular shape so that it is vertically 2 inches longer.
- Mark where the cuts should be with a pencil and a ruler on the longer sheet which will be the outer foam sheet.
- Fold the longer sheet horizontally and cut slits where the sheet is folded at least 1 cm away from the edges.
- Now join the shorter and longer foam sheets together by stapling them at the ends of the cylindrical shapes. This will make the outer foam sheet a bit balloon in the middle region where the slits are cut.
- Make a handle for the lantern by cutting a thin, long strip of the foam sheet and staple it to the lantern.
This is a basic idea and you can build an integrated version of this lantern with multicolored sheets or two layers of outer sheets that form two balloon regions, etcetera. This is a simple lantern and if you want, you can innovate and build a more detailed version of this simple lantern.
- Pyramid lantern:
Required things –
- A pencil
- A ruler
- Color pencils
- Sketch pens
- A paper puncher
- A battery-operated candle
- Draw four triangles attached to each other on a piece of paper and color the backside of the same paper.
- Cut out these four triangles without separating them.
- Tape the ends of these triangles together.
- Punch holes in the pyramid in small shapes that you like.
- Place this pyramid lantern on the battery-operated candle.
How to Make A Traditional Diwali Lantern at Home
This is just a basic idea of a lantern that has a pyramid shape, but if you want, you can make a cube-shaped lantern or any other shape with this basic idea of designing the shapes and later cutting and joining them. You can also play with the lighting by using LED lights, actual diyas to place inside the lanterns or even the wires that have tiny lights that twinkle.